TONSILLECTOMY POST-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS:
Physical Activity Guidelines:
– Rest is optimal for the first 1-2 days following the procedure
– Patients may return to school/work whenever comfortable; a week is average, but 10 days is not unusual.
– Strenuous activity could be resumed in 2 weeks
– Liquids/Soft foods are encouraged. Some examples include: water, juice, Gatorade, ice cream, sherbet, yogurt, pudding, apple sauce and jello.
– Avoid hot or spicy foods, or foods that are hard and crunchy.
– Chewing gum can be started anytime after surgery.
What to expect following the procedure:
– For the first several days (occasionally up to 10 days) following surgery, pain in the throat is to be expected. This can usually be controlled with Liquid Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Tylenol with Codeine (prescription will be given at time of surgery).
– Avoid medication containing aspirin, ibuprofen, or other anti-inflammatory medication, for two weeks.
– Pain is often worse at night and may prompt the need for additional pain medication.
– Ear pain, especially with swallowing is also a common occurrence; it is not an ear infection but due to referred pain from the surgery. Treat it with Tylenol or Tylenol with Codeine.
– Occasionally a stiff neck may occur. Gently lay the ice pack on the front of the neck.
Please call if it becomes excessively painful.
– A low-grade fever (less than 101 degrees) following surgery may occur and should be treated with Tylenol (acetaminophen). Follow the directions on the bottle.
– If the fever persists (more than two days) or if a higher fever develops, call. Fever may indicate that you have not taken in sufficient fluids or may have an infection.
– Post-operative bleeding is unusual, but it can occur up to two weeks after surgery.
– Most bleeding is minor with a little coating of blood on the tongue and would require the patient to sit upright for a few hours
– Watch for spitting, coughing, or vomiting of blood. If you suspect bleeding following surgery, call immediately.
Schedule a followup appointment for 2 weeks following the procedure